When Tom Buchanan had asked me to acquaintance him to the railroad, I had not thought much of it. I figured that I should go so that I will have some friends here who know what they are doing and I truly wish to become closer to Daisy. I thought, why not? I would not hurt since I am new here and have nothing else to do. I figured he would know the area best and I can get to know him and Daisy more.
However, this was no walk in the part...unfortunately. Tom had taken me to meet his mistress. I had heard from a few of his friends about their resentment towards "the fact that he turned up in popular restaurants with her and, leaving her at a table, sauntered about, chatting with whomsoever he knew" (24). I had not very much desire to meet her, probably because Daisy is my family and therefor I acclaim bias towards her feelings. However, I became very curious to know who the girl is that Tom is so foolish for. So, Tom and I drove up to New York on the train during the afternoon and we had stopped by the ashheaps. This is where we got off to meet his girl.
The only building I see ahead is "a small block of yellow brick sitting on the edge of the waste land, a sort of compact Main Street ministering to it, and contiguous to absolutely nothing" (25). Along with two other shops, one was a garage in which that is where Tom lead me. I hear footsteps coming down the stairs to where we are standing. I see a woman of a thickish figure, looking like she was in her middle thirties. She was "faintly stout, but she carried her surplus flesh sensuously as some women can" (25). This is not much of the woman that I had pictured, but now that I see her, I can visualize already what kind of man Tom Buchanan really was, and that is: perverted.
Nick, I feel that you need to understand from someone who has been around Tom for some time now that he is not a good man, and I don't think that we could change him if we tried. I assume now that you understand that anyhow and i'd like to know more about what he and his mistress do that makes her so much more interesting than poor Daisy. Hopefully this hasn't made an impact on how you view the me as these are the people I chose to keep company with.
ReplyDeleteJordan (Erin P)