Monday, April 27, 2015

Why I...

Moved back to Minnesota.
       I could not entirely answer your question if you asked me why I remained in West Egg in the first place. I came there knowing absolutely no one and I think that is what had attracted me to West Egg in the first place. I am a man of judgement kept to myself and I like spending time alone as well. I was fine with living in a small little house, with a brand new job with bonds. It was not until my fascination with Gatsby and everything that has to do with his life that I really began to have a purpose. Of course it was a pleasure to get to spend time with Daisy, but we were never really that close her and Tom and I are not the same type of people. I had so much admiration for Gatsby and I loved to unveil every little detail about him that I could. I had not minded trying to assist Gatsby to reunite with Daisy. Honestly, there is not much that I would not do for Gatsby. I do not believe that he has many friends that are related to business. It is comforting to believe that Gatsby had thought of me as his friend. I had gotten myself so involved with his life, which would not seem terrible as a matter of fact. However, it was the people within his life that became the source of destruction. Things were never going to settle well between Tom and Gatsby and I will forever loathe Tom for his cowardliness and jealousy. I was mesmerized by Gatsby and I was not really paying any attention to my mental state with all of the corruption that followed. I failed to realize my own mind going insane and even if I had I probably would have ignored it. Anyways, it was not until Gatsby had been wrongfully shot that I came to the realization that I was not alright. The one man who I could have absolutely no judgement for and utter reverence was killed for a crime that was not even his. This is what had forced my reality to hit me in the face. I had wanted the funeral to go exactly how Gatsby would have wanted it. It was not even until then that I realized I am the only person Gatsby had left. It is sad to think that he is no long living and dreaming about Daisy. However, without Gatsby, my life is West Egg no longer has any meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment