Monday, April 27, 2015
What I was feeling...
Just when I thought things could not have gotten any more uncomfortable for me after meeting Myrtle, things had only gotten worse. Not only did I not fancy meeting Myrtle in the first place, I surely did not want to spend time with her and Tom together at a party with even more people I am unfamiliar with. The personalities of these people are extremely contrasting to mine. These people are loud and love to talk. I noticed that "the bottle of whiskey-a second one-was now in constant demand by all present"(35), and "I wanted to get out and walk eastward toward the Park through the soft twilight, but each time I tried to go I became entangled in some wild, strident argument which pulled me back, as if with ropes, into my chair" (35). I also did not like hearing about the lies on top of the other lies that Tom has been telling almost everyone else, but Daisy. Tom is too much of a coward to leave Daisy and he is not a man of his word. However, I learn that Tom has been telling, more like lying, to Myrtle about why he cannot be with her. He is telling her that Daisy does not "believe" in divorce because she is catholic so of course Myrtle believes every word he says. It is distasteful to me that someone could live such a lie and be so unfaithful to his wife! Anyways, I have wanted to leave and be alone ever since I found out I was going to meet Myrtle and especially once I was forced to hang out with her friends whom seem to be complete idiots to me. Then a brawl begins to break out between Tom and Myrtle regarding Daisy. Myrtle seems to believe that she has every right to mention Daisy as much as she wants and Tom thinks to believe otherwise. Just then, I hear Myrtle beginning to repeat Daisy's name over and over just as it pushes Tom's last button. Tom throws a massive punch to Myrtle's face, breaking her nose and leaving blood all over the place. I knew that this was not going to end up well, but I had never thought that Tom was going to stoop this low.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don't pretend you didn't have fun with all of us Tom. I know our personalities were clashing but we all got along. You especially got along with my sister quite nicely ;) I don't know what I would have done if I knew Tom was lying to me about his wife and why he couldn't leave her. I feel as if he didn't truly love me. I do have every right to mention Daisy to him! If he truly loved me, he would have left her and he didn't. I was screaming her name out of anger, rage, and sadness that Tom could not be with me. I was surprised as well that Tom would become that brute of a man.
ReplyDelete