I have lost all respect once I found the true side of Tom Buchanan and his hypocrisy. I do not like the way he is treating Daisy, or any woman at that. He is way too obsessive with Daisy's relationship with Gatsby and he is trying his best to make Gatsby look like a fool any chance he can get, and for the majority of the time he fails. It was almost insulting to me when Tom accused Gatsby of earning all of his money from bootlegging. To me, Gatsby is a way more respectable man and I revere him for all of his success.
I waited until late when everyone at the party finally left. Gatsby has requested for me to wait until he was free. For once, "the tanned skin was drawn unusually tight on his face, and his eyes were bright and tired" (109). I have never seen this distraught side of Gatsby and it hit me pretty hard seeing him like this. I could see it in his voice his sadness that Daisy did not have a good time at his party. I, myself, have to agree that I did not have as much fun this time as the first time I went, but there are valid reasons.
Gatsby loves to talk about Daisy and the plans he has for her. I love hearing about them too because it interests me to hear about his love for my cousin, even though I know I barely know her. Even though Gatsby's wishes for Daisy would be understandable for anyone, I told him that "I wouldn't ask too much of her" and that he "can't repeat the past" (110). I was surprised at myself for managing to give Jay Gatsby advice, but it was in the best interest for them both, sort of like an outsider from the fantasy world that Gatsby imagines.
Oh, poor Nick... I wish I could've done something about that terrible Tom. I love listening to their gossip, but I just cannot stand the way Tom treats my friend Daisy. You're a noble soul Tom, but I hope you don't get caught up with Gatsby.
ReplyDelete-Jordan Baker
Delete